HIPAA Compliance Training 2.0
As agents, brokers and consultants, the regulations on privacy and security of your clients’ personal information have become more stringent over the last five years. In addition the penalties for violating the various Rules have risen significantly. Between HIPAA, Gramm-Leach-Bliley and the new Marketplace Privacy Rules, the laws keep stacking up and your clients expect you to protect their information more than ever before.
Did you know that the 2013 HIPAA Rules now require agents selling medical, dental, vision and long-term care insurance to be trained on the HIPAA Privacy and Security Regulations? As more and more clients’ Protected Health Information is lost, stolen or inappropriately used, the standards and expectations will become even more dramatic. Having your staff both trained and knowledgeable about the expectations under the HIPAA Rule is one of the required steps necessary to protect you and your agency.
NAHU’s HIPAA Privacy and Security Certification Course thoroughly explains the HIPAA laws in a multi-media format. Host David C. Smith, a nationally recognized HIPAA and benefits expert, takes you on a video tour of a typical agency and discusses the Requirements as they apply to each position in an agency. David makes HIPAA come to life using real examples in this 3-hour course. This course is approved for 3 continuing education credits and is delivered online at the student’s own pace.
Each stop on the tour is followed by a short quiz to test your knowledge. After completing the video modules, trainees are required to take a comprehensive exam. Upon successful completion, NAHU awards a HIPAA Compliance Certification.
- Definitions of key terms in the law
- Components of Privacy Rule
- What HIPAA protects
- Where Protected Health Information is found
- What is Minimum Necessary
- Duties of an account manager
- When a Notice of Privacy Practices is distributed
- Responsibility of a Privacy Officer
- Responsibilities of a Business Associate Subcontractor
- Three standards in the Security Rule
- Responsibilities of an Information Security Officer
- Managing the server room or cloud vendors
- Encryption requirements
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) guidance
- Notification requirements
- How to mitigate a breach
Office of Civil Rights Enforcement
- What triggers an audit
- How to prepare for an audit
Penalties for violations
- Non-compliance violations
- Criminal penalties
Technical Guide for Implementing Security
- Web security
- How to protect your networks
- Contingency planning
NAHU Course Refund Policy: In order to be eligible for a course refund, the student will have to request a refund within one year of the purchase date. In addition, the course must be intact, meaning the student has not begun the course. If the student is entitled to a refund, NAHU will refund the purchase price using the original method of payment.